Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Unknown Folders

Although I trust Dh that he was on his best behavior throughout his vacation, I still wonder what took place. Dh explains things factually with little detail... IE. "We drove to the store. We went to the beach. We went out." It drives me nuts! Therefore, the events of those weeks will probably be just more non-memories (for me) that will go into the "unknown" folder in my brain.

There are many non-memories concerning Dh that are housed in this particular folder, starting when Dh left for boot camp many years back. The events of both his first and second deployment are also located in this folder. As a military spouse, I understand that I will never know all the details of those events... and I have come to terms with that. But, when it comes to things like a vacation without me, I can't help but want to know every detail!

I sometimes wonder if Dh has his own "unknown" folder on me? If you're thinking logically, you would think that he does. But for some reason, I have this feeling that he doesn't... I think that it has a lot to do with my life being very predictable. He knows exactly where I will be sleeping, who I will be spending my time with, and what I'm doing on a day to day basis. I think that he doesn't wonder because he thinks that he already knows... but the truth is, there is so much that happens regularly that he misses out on because he isn't/wasn't here... Or, perhaps it is now, and has been in the past, easier for him to cope if he doesn't think about all of those little things that he is missing...

I just don't know. And that's exactly my issue...


1 comment:

RangersGirl said...

I don't think men think in details like we women do. I think the fact that you guys talked on the phone often while he was gone was a really good thing. That means he was thinking about you throughout the day.